Friday, June 13, 2008

Good Bye Rainbow

Two years ago, the day Megan finished Kindergarten, we took a trip to the pet store to buy a fish. After checking out all the fish available for purchase, my daughter settled on a white colored beta with rainbow fins. We bought a tank, fish food and of course toys for the fish. Because fish get bored in the water, according to Megan. As we were driving home, Megan announced she had named the fish Rainbow and it was a girl fish no matter what the store said. The store salesman explained that all betas were male. But to Megan, Rainbow was and always will be a girl. Tim and I explained to our daughter that fish don't usually live very long. And not to expect Rainbow to live as long as our cat and dog. Everytime I cleaned Rainbow's tank, I prayed I would not mess up and kill the fish. I knew my daughter would be heartbroken. After two years of this fish getting sick, losing an eye and coming close to dying only to live, I thought man this fish is like the Terminator. It just keeps swimming and surviving. But yesterday was the day. I came home from work and Tim informed me the fish had finally died. At first I was happy, yippee one animal down, two to go. But then I realized Megan would not be as excited. What would I tell her? How would she take this news? She had never experienced losing someone to death before. But as Tim said, it's a lesson she has to learn. So when my daughter walked in the door after Ice Skating that afternoon, I took her into her room and explained that Rainbow had died. At first she didn't believe it, but then the realization sank in and she started crying. Grandma stood by her side, as I explained that everything dies eventually and that we should be thankful for the time we had with Rainbow. Man that was hard. I realized that was the first time my daughter was ever truely heartbroken. The first time that she ever experienced pain so real and so deep that all she could do was cry. Then my heart broke for her. And I realized that my daughter is going up and the future will hold more heartbreaks like this one for her. Tonight we buried Rainbow in the backyard next to our big oak tree named Herman. I told Megan that now Herman won't be lonely. When we came inside, Megan made a sign with Rainbow's name, years she lived and scentiments of love for her pet. So tonight I ask, please lift up a prayer for my darling Megan. Dear Lord, please comfort Megan tonight and help her through losing her pet. Thank You Amen. Good bye Rainbow, we will miss you.

No comments: